Thursday, December 27, 2012

Lola, the Pseudo-intellectual


This is about as philosophical as I get.

Back when I was torn between getting a new digital camera or holding off and using the money for a smartphone, I started thinking about how crazy fast phones have started gaining ground on electronics we once looked at as staples in our lives.

For example, I know so many people who have moved out on their own months ago and still don’t have a TV. 

Why? 

Because they have a laptop. 

Thanks to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and Youtube (as well as lots of other sites) if you have a laptop and internet YOU DON’T NEED A TV!

I remember when I was younger and I couldn't imagine life without my morning cartoons or 90’s Nick/Disney. Now, I barely bother to watch TV, cause I know if I miss something I can always watch it later online. Usually with fewer/no commercials. 

Computer makers probably thought: “Hell yes, we’re unstoppable!”

…Until the smartphone came along all “Bring it, bitches.” Which led to a major Fucking Hell moment for the computer makers.

Thanks to smartphones you don’t even need laptops as much anymore, cause now you can do so much on just your phone. Also… Ipad, Kindle Fire, AND  Windows Surface… Yea… suck on that laptops.

Electronic companies (except maybe Apple) must feel so stressed having to constantly watch out for not only their competitors who produce the same products, but also different products altogether that can do what their product can, except they have better features, are more compact (which makes them easier to take around) and usually have more visual appeal. TV companies must be shitting bricks.

After having nothing else to do one night but ponder this, I came to the conclusion that it’s only a matter of time before something we once considered to be a staple becomes obsolete. The big three are TVs,  laptops and smartphones. 

I asked myself, out of the big three, which will become obsolete first?

Prior to writing this I was completely stumped, but now I feel it will most likely be the TV. 

You can’t carry it around (unless you have one of those old-fashioned ones with the handle on top), you have to pay a lot for one with good video quality and all the new bangs & whistles AND for a cable/satellite provider which can be stressful depending on who you pick, and there are just too many products that can do everything the TV can.

(When I wrote this, my sister who moved out recently only had her laptop and used that for watching her favorite shows. When I went back the other day, she had gotten a TV along with a living room set. I asked, “Why the expensive TV when your laptop was just fine?” She said, “First of all the TV is from rent-a-center, so it’s not actually expensive and second of all, it makes the living room look complete.” LOL So, I guess TVs could get a second wind simply because they look good in a home?)

I don’t think it’s gonna happen any time soon. Possibly over the next 50 years or so.

That is, unless the TV companies come up with something really kick ass, like hologram TV shows that let the viewer become part of their favorite show.

That would be pretty damn cool, huh?

Bye sweets. <3

P.S. Just realized this marks the last of the blogs I had saved on my computer. Now I have to actually put in work... fucking hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment