Friday, September 6, 2013

Favorite Music Videos of All Time (Part 1)

Currently I'm not able to take any decent pictures (will explain why eventually) and I wanted to liven this blog up a bit, cause let's face it- my life just isn't that interesting.

/wrists

*Ahem*

So, I thought it'd be fun to post my favorite music videos of all time! Some come from when I was little, cause, like, when I was growing up MTV really did stand for Music Television. And they played music videos. A lot.

So, let's begin, okay?

(In no particular order...)

1) Blur- Coffee and TV


So, the reason I loved this video was because the little milk carton was SO. DARN. CUTE! Back then, the thing was to do semi-animated movies (is that what it was called?) where, like, cartoon characters could exist in a real life setting, but still be cartoons (think Space Jam). Despite the weird and scary things that sometimes happen to the poor milk cartoon, it had a happy ending. And a really catchy tune.

2) TIE!!!

Not only are the creative minds behind Gnarls Barkley musical geniuses, they're also not too bad when it comes to making music videos. Case in point: Going On and Who's Gonna Save My Soul.

Going On:


When I first saw this video, I had no idea where it was going (heh). It looked poorly made and I dunno, I just didn't think the video fit the song style. And then it kept going, got better, kept going, got me all emotional. When the video was over, I just stared at my computer screen for a moment, not able to comprehend the depth of the thing I'd just seen. I won't give too much away. It might not effect you the way it did me, but it's definitely worth seeing.

Who's Gonna Save My Soul:


Ever been blind-sided by a break-up? Gnarls Barkley knows how you feel. Seriously, if you've gotten the, "it's not you, it's me," or, "i just need some time for myself," or even the, "things were really good, but it's just time for us to move on," and you were sitting there thinking, "But... why???" then this video is for you. Honestly, if that's something you're going through right now and you want to explain to that person exactly how they've made you feel, send them this video. They'll get it. (Caution: Mind the gore.)

3) Temper Trap- Love Lost


Presenting the Endurance Test to end all Endurance tests! Seriously, if this happened in every gym class, they might've been more bearable. There is something precious about this video, and not just because of the kids. Some people might complain, "But what has this got to do with the song???" Those people have missed the point. Maybe you'll get it. Oh, and you might want to cover your eyes at the end.

4) Michael Jackson- Leave Me Alone


As a girl who's loved Michael Jackson all her life, even with all the unfortunate attention he received later in the years, it was bound to happen that I would have a favorite video of his (I won't be surprised if more pop up later on). It wasn't easy. So many of his videos remind me so strongly of a childhood spent with my cousins watching his music clips and mimicking his moves. I even wanted to grow up and marry him. What I love about this particular video is how he deals with all the unwanted attention from the media in his own way: both acknowledging the negative views people have of him and making fun of it all at the same time. This clip is the weirdest carnival you've ever been to and so apropos to what his life was like at the time. 

5) Alanis Morissette- Ironic

(If anyone has a better quality version of this video, I'd be very grateful for a link.)

So, we all know that the ironic thing about this song is that it isn't actually about irony, which just makes it... um, ironic. The video, however, is Iconic with a capital 'I'. I was a kid when I saw it and it just seemed like magic to me how Alanis was able to duplicate herself just by getting into a car. And as a child with a short attention span, I was glued to every moment of this video. Every time I watched it (and it played on TV several times a day for a while). It's just one of those classics that will always have the same effect on people the first time they see it: they won't be able to forget it.


That's all for now!

Yes, yes I know it was short. I worried that if I tried to come up with the full list now, I'd forget some. So, I'm just gonna make this one of those things I come back to every now and then.

Even though this entry was completely devoid of drama, I hope it livened things up here, even if just a little bit.

Bye sweets<333

No comments:

Post a Comment